Aeration is the process of perforating the lawn to increase the flow of water, nutrients, and oxygen to the root system of your grass. Aeration can help alleviate the soil compaction and thatch buildup of winter. Aerating your lawn can help keep your grass healthy, full, lush, and green.
Does My Lawn Need Aeration?
If your soil has become compacted and your grass has lost its color and density, chances are you to aerate your lawn. Below are some of the signs you should watch out for to know if your lawn needs aeration.
- Your lawn surface feels spongy and dries out easily.
- Soil has no give. It feels hard as a rock.
- The grass is thinning.
- Your grass has brown/yellow patches.
- Water is forming puddles on your lawn after a rainstorm. (It’s not draining.)
- Your lawn gets heavy foot traffic or pets play in your yard.
The Benefits of Lawn Aeration
Aeration provides many benefits for your lawn. Below are some of the ways it helps your lawn grow fuller, greener, and lusher.
- Improves grass root growth – It gives your roots space to spread out and grow more densely.
- Reduces Runoff – Aeration encourages water to go into the soil and stay in the soil.
- Reduces Water Erosion – Strong and dense grass root systems decrease water erosion potential in your yard.
- Cuts Down on Dethatching – Aeration allows your grass to achieve better drainage and promotes the natural decomposition of thatch.
- Increases Drought Tolerance – Grassroots that grow deeper and denser can pull water from deep within the soil to help it withstand droughts better.
- Saves Water – Being in a desert state, the more permeable the soil, you will find that you will need to water your lawn less frequently as you can water it more deeply.
- Controls weeds – Dense grass root systems can help outcompete weeds.
- Cuts down on fertilizer needs – Fertilizers address nutrient (Nitrogen and Potassium) deficiencies. Aeration helps the grass to get these nutrients in a more gentle and natural manner.
- Helps Winterize your Lawn – When combined with Fertilization, Aeration can help increase your grass’s ability to absorb water and nutrients and also help set up your lawn for success for the next spring season.
Lawn and Snow Pro has the industry know-how and decades of experience in lawn care and snow removal. If you are ever in need of lawn care services or need some quick tips, call our office during regular business hours to learn how we can help you get the lawn of your dreams.